There is a theme that rings loud in our culture. It’s about creating an uncomplicated life – one where the clutter is reduced and spending energy on things that matter is optimized. Daylilies are one of those plants that support this idea – they are great performers and very easy to care for. Properly known as Hemerocallis, they are a class of perennial flower that are perfect for our Edmonton climate. They tolerate our winters and they love living here. Adding structure and simplicity, daylilies are a wonderful addition to every sunny garden.
Daylily flowers are available in an unparalleled array of colors and textures. The blossoms can be solid or striped in color or they can have a gradual progression of colors beginning with lime greens or yellows at the throat blending into pinks, yellows, creams, reds or purples at the tips of the flower petals. If that isn’t enough to whet your appetite, the blossom shapes vary as well – they can be simple with smooth edges, they can be ruffled, or they can be a combo of the two. Despite the fact that daylily flowers last just a little over 24 hours (hence their name, daylily) shouldn’t deter you – when the clump is large, they appear to bloom continuously. Not all daylilies bloom all summer long, most have a season of bloom but that season lasts for about a month, depending on how large the clump is. Some have 2 seasons of bloom where they bloom for 2-3 weeks in early summer, take a rest, and then bloom again for another 2-3 weeks. Remember to read tags carefully so you know their individual habits & patterns.
Here are a few more details on daylilies:
- grow in full & partial sun
- are incredibly hardy – they tolerate a significant amount of heat & drought once established (after 3 summers)
- are simple to divide
- have few predators
- are very low maintenance
- remember to dead head daylilies by removing the spent & dead blossoms so they continue to dedicate their energy to blooming and expanding their roots.
It’s difficult to recommend specific varieties because there are so many choices. But for a starting point to great performers year in & year out, some of our favorites include:
- Stella D’Oro – continuous golden blooms all summer long
- Barbara Mitchell – a ruffled, sophisticated creamy-pink blossom with a lime green throat
- Happy Returns – reblooming yellow all summer, blooms are larger than Stella
- Mighty Chestnut – ruffled reblooming 2 tone orange flower
- Passion for Red – deep red with a green & yellow throat
- Nosferatu – a ruffled deep purple with a green throat
Come and take a walk through our perennial department and see the choices of daylilies available for your garden. Need help deciding? We’d be happy to go through the options with you. Also, feel free to email or call us at 780-904-3514.