Posted by Wallish on Sep 18 2018
Autumn is a good time to enjoy the cooler days, to reflect on your garden’s successes, and to begin getting ready for winter. Good fall prep gives a jump start to the next spring.
Here is a checklist of things to do:
- Take Notes:
- What worked well?
- What things worked poorly?
- Cull out the underperforming plants, some are old and some may just not be working.
- What are your dreams for new plants?
- Garden Tasks
- Trim back the plants you’d like cleaned up, leave others tall for winter interest like Ornamental Grasses, Sedums, and Rubeckia.
- This is a good time to make new flower beds.
- Put finishing touches on mulching – maintain mulch at 2-4 inches.
- Water well – give perennials a generous watering once a week.
- Start thinking about which plants need winter protection.
- Clean tools in warm soapy water.
- Rinse & roll up hoses.
- Sharpen tools.
- Clean up power equipment.
- Plant fall bulbs for a wonderful early spring display check out this link to last week’s blog on Planting Fall Bulbs Aug 29, 2017