Taking care of poinsettias over the holidays is simple if you follow these three steps; keep your poinsettias warm when bringing them home, don’t overwater your poinsettias and avoid heaters or cold drafts.
Caring For Poinsettias in Edmonton
Poinsettias are tropical plants, native to Mexico, so their needs are unique but not complex. It is important to keep your poinsettias warm, as a freezing ride home will do them in. You can tell your poinsettia has been chilled by their wilted looking appearance, especially when they appeared robust and beautiful upon leaving the store.
- To avoid having them get too cold, make sure that they are dressed in layers (like us) for our winter temperatures.
- The best wrap for them is in a paper sleeve folded at the top with a plastic sealed bag over top of that.
- Make picking up your poinsettia the last stop of your day so it can go into a warm vehicle and doesn’t have to sit in the cold during other errands.
- Avoid walking through parking lots with an open plastic sleeve exposing poinsettias to our wintery blasts of cold.
Watch our video about keeping your poinsettia warm in transit:
Strike A Balance When Watering Poinsettias
Overwatering poinsettias is a classic mistake. Generally poinsettias only need to be watered every week or even every 10 days, but remember to check them daily – every home is different. To check for water needs, pick up the pot and check its weight – this is how we check in the greenhouse. Once you have watered your poinsettia so water drains out of the holes at the bottom of the pot, you will know how heavy a fully watered poinsettia weighs. When the pot is very light, it is time to water.
- When a poinsettia is overwatered it will get a wilted appearance making you think it needs more water and then the cycle of overwatering begins and perpetuates the problem.
- There is no need for fertilizing because they are in full bloom and don’t need it.
Watch our video about watering your poinsettias:
Keep Poinsettias Away From Heaters and Drafts
Plain & simple, poinsettias do not like cold or hot air blasting at them. Regular room temperature is fine for poinsettias.
- Avoid cold drafts from windows & outside doors, as poinsettias may get chilled and wilted looking.
- Do not place your poinsettias near heat registers, as they may get dried out quickly and get crispy leaves.
Watch our video about the creature comforts of poinsettias: